Client: The Monroe County Historical Association (MCHA)
MKSD architects was hired by the Monroe County Historical Association (MCHA) to provide architectural design services for an expansion of their current facility, located in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania and housed in the historic 1795 Stroud Mansion.
The building serves as the headquarters of the organization which maintains a local history library and museum serving all of Monroe County, Pennsylvania. The structure is located within the Stroudsburg Historic District which is on the National Register of Historic Places and required review and approval from the Stroudsburg Historic Architectural Review Board and the State Historic Preservation Office.
The expansion consisted of approximately 7000 square feet of space divided between two floors, with additional square footage provided by a new basement level for facility & utility functions.
The design of the exterior appearance was not to be made to appear historic, but contemporary and compatible with the historic 1795 Stroud mansion, as well as being sympathetic to the community’s historic character of the Stroudsburg Historic District.
Some of the features include:
- Library Room & adjacent Research Table & Computer Stations – 1st floor
- Place of Assembly for 150 – 1st floor
- Meeting Space for 30 – 2nd floor
- Reception Area / Ticket Storage / Gift Shop common space
- 2 gender-neutral Restrooms side by side (public) 1st floor
- 1 Staff Bathroom – 2nd floor
- Breakroom/Kitchen –2nd floor
- Custodial, Facility Storage
- Curatorial Storage (humidity and temperature control) – approx. 1000 sq ft.
- Curatorial Processing Room with separate utility sink, washer & dryer
- Utilities & Equipment: HVAC system; electrical; lighting; plumbing; data/phone; audio/visual
- Accessibility Needs